- Creating an extraordinary region through the Council, mana whenua and community
- Continue building a connected, engaged, diverse, positive and productive culture
An inspirational and visionary CEO is sought, to lead Greater Wellington Regional Council (Greater Wellington) in its ongoing mission to build a thriving, connected and resilient region. The fast changing nature of the environmental needs of our region requires motivated, engaged, agile and proactive leadership.
Greater Wellington promotes Quality for Life by ensuring our environment is protected while meeting the economic, cultural and social needs of the community. None of these aspects are mutually exclusive, so you are a professional who has the capacity to deliver outcomes across all these interwoven facets. Greater Wellington is a statutory body, with 13 councillors elected from six constituencies. Greater Wellington’s territory extends from Pukehou north of Otaki on the west coast of the North Island, across the Tararua Range via Mt Bruce to the north of Castlepoint on the Wairarapa coast and south to Wellington and Cook Strait.
The Council’s responsibilities include environment management, flood protection and land management, provision of regional parks, public transport planning and funding, and metropolitan bulk water supply.
Reporting to the Council and leading a progressive senior leadership team, the CEO is accountable for the execution of strategic business plans and performance. That implementation is a critical focus, as delivery is the key measure of success. Priorities include fresh water quality and biodiversity, regional resilience, bulk water supply and public transport.
Continuing to build on its extensive mana whenua and community relationships, the knowledge of its people, and its investment in its services and to enable integrated environmental management and enable high performance, is critical.
Applicants will demonstrate:
- A proven and demonstrable reputation for visionary leadership, internal and external.
- Successful experience in leading a full range of technical and investment activities in a company or business, or relevant policy and operations experience in a local authority.
- Successful experience working with councillors or boards of directors, and in providing professional, accurate, transparent and strategic advice.
- The ability to apply commercial and financial principles in ways appropriate to the local government context.
- Understanding the challenges of working in a political environment, but with the ability to deliver results within the political, legislative and regulatory frameworks that apply to local government.
- Commitment to being a good employer, prioritising equal employment opportunities and through such, demonstrating the promotion of equity and diversity at all levels of Greater Wellington.
This is a hugely significant role for our region. It will be attractive to those looking to take a complex environmental organisation on the next phase of its journey.
For further information on Greater Wellington, please visit their website; www.gw.govt.nz
Confidential enquiries can be made to Greater Wellington exclusive Search partners SWR Group through Tony Walsh on 029 271 1101 or Graeme Sandri on 029 248 8502 or email either at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org quoting reference no. 3190667.
The advertisement can be viewed at www.swr.nz/jobs
A position description and further information can be provided on request.
Applications for the role close on 12th March 2021.
All applications will be acknowledged via email.
Due to current border restrictions from the New Zealand government we are only able to accept applications from candidates who are a New Zealand citizen, resident or already have secured the right to work in New Zealand and hold a valid visa.